Coconut Oil – Beyond Cooking

Coconut Oil

This post aims to save you at least $39. Go ahead and trash your body lotion ($8), chapstick ($3), teeth whitening mouthwash ($6), face cream ($15) and KY jelly ($7). Replace them all with pure, unrefined, organic coconut oil.

A quick internet search will net you several more products you can dispose of in favor of coconut oil, but this will get you off the starting blocks. A jar from Trader Joe’s comes in at about $6; you can get it in a larger size on Amazon for $13.

I don’t know why I didn’t write this post sooner. I mused months ago on its many virtues as cooking oil and briefly touched on it as a sunscreen, but that’s no excuse. I owe you guys the delivery of this information. I realized tonight how many times I reach into the jar. Since penning the initial coconut oil piece, I’ve taken some serious steps, and I’m inspired to share them with you.

A few bullets from my day:

First, I hopped out of the shower and, as is my ritual, moisturized with a few tablespoons before toweling off. From Huffington Post:

Many commercial brands of moisturizers contain petroleum-based ingredients that can suffocate the skin. In contrast, coconut oil provides deep and real moisture. It helps strengthen underlying tissues and helps remove excessive dead cell on the skin’s surface that makes your skin rough and flaky in texture.

Speaking of commercial brands, those women in the Crest Whitestrips commercials have some bright choppers, don’t they? Well, they don’t have anything on my friend Susan Altman, the best health coach the city of Boston can claim.

Susan says her routine consists of swishing with coconut oil for 20 minutes daily and using this natural toothpaste.

I don’t know about the toothpaste, but you can be damn sure that after my pitch-black morning coffee, I engage in a quick rinse with the clear. (No, I don’t mean the humorously dubbed PED of choice for certain famous ballplayers.) With the same spork I used to stab my mushrooms and scoop my eggs, I snatch a little scoop from the jar and shovel it in. The second I move it around a little, it melts. I’m off to the races like it’s Listerine, sans the gargle.

Using coconut oil as a mouthwash takes some getting used to. It’s a strange discovery at first, but I’d rather have a peculiar first experience than a mouthful of chlorhexidine gluconate, cetylpyridinium chloride and…you get the picture.

All that work swishing may leave your lips tired by day’s end. You’ll need a refresher. Reach for that fancy lip balm? Hell no. Just do it; same product.

Now, it’s not waxy, so it won’t behave identically as chapstick, but play with it. If it doesn’t satisfy, feel free to yell at me in the comments section below. Just don’t stress about it or you’ll get wrinkles.

On that note, dudes get wrinkles, too. Is it hours in the Malibu sun or am I just old? Either way, I don’t mess with Oil of Olay, slide me the Oil of Coconut. From antiagingsolutions.com:

Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer, so rubbing the oil daily can prevent skin dryness that is often caused by a vitamins deficiency.
– Coconut oil contains an essential emollient, which helps reduce wrinkling and makes the skin softer.
– The oil’s antioxidant properties can prevent the formation of and eliminate free radicals that are one of the primary causes of early aging.

I’m not blindly buying these claims, but I’m not thirsty for Garnier’s kool aid, either. One ingredient, folks. Coconut.

You’re moisturized and smelling tropical, your teeth are white and your face looks like you’ve just visited a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon. The sun has set, and the moon is out. Perhaps you have a friend nearby, perhaps it’s just you by your lonesome…well, this is awkward. I’ve promised you authenticity, honesty and openness. Take this how you wish and I’ll spare you the step by step. Coconut oil is the world’s greatest lubricant. I can’t help where your mind goes with this. Once the ball leaves the bat, I can’t steer it.

Sleep well,

Kap

Comments

1. Shawn says

Great post…I’ve dubbed coconut oil the duct tape of healthy living a year or so ago….Oh, and let’s not forget it’s all important versatility in another vital part of the home…the bedroom-in a multitude of functions!

2. crackerjack1 says

I started using it as a deep conditioning treatment for my hair. I leave it on for 30 minutes, shampoo and rinse it out and my hair is unbelievably soft. Can’t wait to try these other uses!

3. Ed H says

Costco has a 54oz jar for $16.99 (Carrington Farms). I pull it in my mouth daily for 15 to 20 (while I shower). I also put it in my coffee and cook with it (great for eggs, especially omelets).

I noticed a spot of ring worm on my arm a couple of months ago. I rubbed coconut oil on it but still thought I’d need to buy an anti-fungal cream. The next day it was gone (G-O-N-E gone). In the past I’d use an anti-fungal for a week for a similar result.

4. says

I always get a little laugh when I read something of yours, thanks.

I also use coconut on my hair for super conditioning twice a month. I get compliments all the time because it’s hard to keep long hair looking good in a dry climate. Not that you have this problem : )

5. David says

Hey Gabe,
    First off, I am a big fan! Your blog is extremely informative and helpful.
    I am a psoriasis sufferer, so I am curious to see if the coconut oil is helpful. I also happen to be a dentist. Just a heads up, I am always a little cautious when recommending toothpastes that are not ADA or CDA certified, mostly because I worry about how abrasive they can potentially be. Not sure about the particular one you linked to though, I’ve just seen some bad ones.
    Anyway, keep up the great work!
    David

• Ed H says

To me, ADA and CDA are glorified marketing organizations…. I feel the same way toward most industry and (sadly) government agencies… National Dairy Counsel, FDA and so many others are not looking out for the people… My apologies if my cynicism offends anyone.

6. Sarai Macedo says

It’s so nice to have a nice guy share such valuable information without making it boring! Thanks Gabe! :)

7. Kevin McNeil. says

Major point not addressed about oil pulling is that it kills lots of the bacteria found in the mouth. Whitening and fresher breath are nice side benefits.

8. says

Great blog man, our home has had coconut oil in every room for awhile now.

The men on my side of the fam have a long standing history of dry skin & severe dandruff that I am happy to say coconut oil has cleared for me.

Haven’t tried the mouthwash bit but will certainly give it a whirl since I’m always concerned about how much damage black coffee does….

Thnx for another great read

9. says

yo Gabe. thanks for all your info. God is good, for HE also leads you to the right place, and at the right time.
    Being 76 and soon 77, I pray and hope, I am not too late, on using Coconut Oil. LOL
    By the Way, another goodie is Lemon Juice, can help your Skin, also, in areas, of aging dark spots, etc. But adding coconut oil this old dinosaur intends to use also.
    Once I use the Coconut Oil, I may slip, slide away…LOL
    Again Gabe, thanks friend for your info, keep it flowing my friend, for some of us, do not realize that in so many ways, God helps us all, to show love, and give advice to make us enjoy this wonderful life, in so many ways.
    Peace always, to you Gabe, and to everyone, who frequents in here.
    Dinosaur “Tony”
    PS….oops, almost forgot “GO RAY’S”

10. says

Quick note about coconut oil and swishing… when spitting it out, do NOT spit it down a drain. Spit it into a trash bin or a compost pile (if you have one). Coconut oil will melt and will also re-harden. If you spit it down your drain, it will begin to build up and eventually clog your drain. As an added note, as being wise beyond my years and after decades of bad sunburns (I’m fair skinned with not so much red hair as when younger) I use coconut oil as a complete sun block and, every chance I get, I share this knowledge with parents who are unknowingly ignorant when applying chemical creams onto their children. Share the Kab-owledge :)

11. says

is it accurate that susan will rinse for 20 minutes daily with coconut oil? This seems like an excessive amount of time to swish any product. Thanks…interesting post

Zach Armiger, CSCS

12. says

I just subscribed to your blog and have been reading past posts….love your take on life and nutrition! I have been pulling with coconut oil for about a year now. I don’t do it daily – two to three times a week. I love it! It also helps to pull toxins from system and eliminate bacteria that cause bad breath. I also heard it has slight effects as an insect repellant. Cheers!!! Christine

13. Alex says

Caught wind of this website via interviews you’ve done on the mid-day show on WEEI. Quick question about coconut oil – I know this is traditionally a website aimed at human health, but any thoughts about using coconut oil on dogs? I own a Hungarian Vizsla, and the breed is prone to skin problems. Thanks.

14. Courtney says

Hi Gabe, Thank you so much for posting this! I started my OilyLife a few months ago and my husband wasn’t so sure about it but let me “do my thing”. My kitchen counter was covered in all kinds of organic oils, essential oils, empty chapstick tubes, deodorant containers, jars, etc. He sent me your blog post and was all of a sudden gung ho about this new life. So Thank YOU sir! You made me look *NOT* crazy!
    Would you like some lovely homemade peppermint chocolate chapstick :)

Trackbacks

1. […] This idea seemed OK, since there is baking soda involved, and baking soda helps soak up grease. There’s also apple cider vinegar, which has about 95,000 different uses (I’ve gargled it before singing, in case you were wondering) and coconut oil, which is basically my favorite product to hit the market of all-time. (One of my favorite athletes and all-around good guys, Gape Kapler, has an excellent piece on the many uses of coconut oil on his blog.) […]